Friday, June 7, 2013

Sample Saturday and more!

Busy, busy, busy.  That's me!  Between my kids' birthdays (less than two weeks apart), my growing business (Kharmic Chaos) and attending Grove City Wine & Arts Festival this weekend I have been just shy of losing my mind.  But, that's quite alright and completely worth it!  I will put some pictures up when I can but for now, an excerpt from Whiskey, Mystics, and Men, my Emerald Seer Novella.  This particular passage shows that Angeline was not always the prim, proper fairy.



“Go! Go! Go! Go!”  The thunder of chants echoed through the fog of her mind but she kept sucking at the tap.  Both hands were going numb from holding the thin rim of the keg but Angeline needed more to drown out the noise.  Finally she signaled the two weres supporting her ankles and found herself right side up again.  The frat house erupted in cheers and her new sisters flooded Angeline from all sides. 
“Wow, Ang, that was amazing.”
“I think it’s a new record.”
“Ang, you are unreal, girl.”
Angeline took in the praise, shook off her conscience, and smiled at a dashing half breed across the room.  She caught him eyeing her more than once since arriving.  Handsome in an unconventional way, by no means the most attractive guy there.  Angeline smiled seductively and flipped her hair to expose the graceful slope of her neck.  Turning slightly to keep one eye on the half breed, Angeline laughed with her sisters nonchalantly.  He continued to watch her, sipping beer from the red plastic cup, his eyes blazing red on occasion betraying his fire sprite nature.  The wild auburn hair and sharp features suddenly made sense.  Angeline worked to refrain from licking her lips. 
“Girl, that is not a good plan.  He looks like he could eat you up.”  Val slid up beside her and thrust a cup in her hand. 
“Val, you are incorrigible.” Angeline took a big gulp of beer though her stomach protested.
“I can see the old Angeline coming out and you know what that means, but promise me you will stay away from that guy.” Val’s eyebrows knitted together in concern.
Angeline pinched her friends arm, perhaps a bit harder than necessary.  “Now is not the time to discuss this.  You saw that keg stand; I am far from playing it safe.  Risk taking abound – but that does not mean I have to bang the half breed or anybody else for that matter.”

“Look who’s talking.” A husky voice reverberated through the alcohol fog.  “Sort of like the pot calling the kettle black, don’t you think, fairy?”

No comments:

Post a Comment