Friday, July 12, 2013

Super Sample Saturday!

Just a bit from LIGHT MY FIRE this week as I prep to give my alter ego a little face time at a local event...



“Lucian, you are a good man.  What happened between you and Angeline?”  Everything about him screamed wild, unkempt and nomad, Storm understood that but she also wanted happiness for him, for the tenderness he showed her, for the years of friendship he’d given Ryder.  Lucian fought every day to contain the Phoenix, Storm could only guess at the strength it took, and to do so for more than five centuries.  He deserved some measure of happiness and relief.  She respected Lucian more every day and had been researching ways to ease the burden, absorbing every bit of information she could find on Phoenix.  As it turned out, they had arrived with the Tuatha De, or near about that time, and had once lived in peace among them.  That was the real reason for Damarra’s absence and why Storm refused to summon her.  Her grandmother would return when she was good and ready, not a moment sooner or later. 
“Do not let the Scots hear you say that.  I would never hear the end of it.”  He winked and took her arm.  “Angeline and I are not a match.  She served a purpose, we made an attempt, but we did not have much spark.  It was mutual, I assure you, precious Emerald.”  Lucian chuckled at his pet name for her, one of many, and Storm found herself charmed once more.  She almost missed the dark look that crossed her friend’s face – almost. 
“Lucian, be honest with me.  It’s getting worse, isn’t it?”  It seemed silly to ask when the answer was evident in his eyes but she’d misread so much lately, since the pregnancy really.  Besides, it would be good if Lucian just opened up to her for once the way everyone else seemed to.

Instead, Lucian turned her to face him, hands at her shoulders, and met her gaze evenly “Storm, do not worry about me, I have handled this for over five hundred years, I can handle it for five hundred more without batting an eye.”  Storm swore the fire flickered furiously for a second but when she blinked it was gone.  The sounds of Kell and Pollux arguing ended the moment. “Hell, I had better go check on the Scots to make sure your furniture turns out right.  Trust me, Storm, it will all work out and I am in complete control.”

No comments:

Post a Comment