Monday, August 24, 2015

Because it's my birthday....

This post is several months in the making but it seems appropriate to share it today. I haven't been writing much lately, at least not anything novel length or even short story length if I'm being honest. Other than several lengthy journal entries and a plethora of prompts, my writing has been stagnate and it troubles me. Sure I've created other things in the interim (from multimedia canvas work to costumes to repurposed clothing and just about everything in between) but I haven't been writing like I want to which means I have some serious idea constipation and it is most unpleasant. 

I need a creative enema or something of the sort. I keep thinking it will come, just the right nudge or combination of relaxation and inspiration to get things moving again. I've tried to be patient. I've tried to be aggressive. I've tried to change my habits. I've tried beer (and good beer, believe you me). This blockage just does NOT seem to be going anywhere anytime soon.

*groan*

Today I realized something though. In this digital age with all of the hand held equipment and multiple ways to reach somebody you never get a break. You never get a true day off anymore and that just ain't right. And yes, I used "ain't" and I know it is NOT a word but work with me here.  The only aspect in my life that I am mentally, physically and emotionally able to be available 24/7 is as a Mom. I don't take time off from that gig because it's the most important one I have and I know it. My kids are great and I share a lot of interests with both so I'm pretty lucky. Unfortunately, there are a lot of other people who seem to feel I need to be available to them 24/7 and they do not deal with me not responding instantaneously to whatever they need. I'm not sure when this happened or why but everybody needs a little time away (don't believe me? Ask Chicago). 

My point is that I think my creative constipation stems from my inability to have true time to myself to write and create without interruption. I couldn't even get a day off for my birthday because people have my cell phone number and they feel it is more than acceptable to text me whenever and as much as they please. I guess I feel like there should be boundaries and that once set those boundaries should be honored. 

For example,  if I say "Hey, I'm taking a day off for my birthday to spend with my kids and do some fun stuff since they are going back to school on Wednesday. If you contact me I'm not going to answer." I would hope that people would respect this and NOT contact me, but no, apparently I was mistaken. The correct response is texting me SIX TIMES. Did I just miss the memo on this issue? Are we truly supposed to be available to people twenty four hours a day, seven days a week? Am I supposed to drop everything like, I don't know, coaching my kid's softball game to take a phone call for work? When on vacation am I supposed to seek out whatever wifi hotspots I can find IN THE MOUNTAINS to check my email regularly just to make sure I'm available to people? 

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe this stress is not causing my creative constipation but it sure ain't helping things a lick. What do you all think? Are boundaries a thing of the past? Are we supposed to open ourselves and sacrifice our sanity for the sake of work? I'm genuinely curious here so let the answers roll.....

6 comments:

  1. You should be able to create an automated email AND text response. "Hi! Thanks for contacting me. It's my birthday today, and my kids are more important than you, so I'm not doing anything that pertains to you today. Leave me a message, and I'll get back to you when it's NOT my birthday." should work nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *sigh* alas, not always an option....and I wonder how many people would actually listen/hear it anyway!

      Delete
  2. I've been in a creative writing slump for two years, I completely get your frustration. (note that is why you all havent seen much of me in the writing circles - its depressing)

    Give yourself permission to chase other avenues and KNOW when the timing is right, you WILL get back to it.

    As for the boundaries, you have EVERY right to set YOUR boundary needs and expect others to respect them. If they do not, you also have the right to cull them from the herd.

    Much <3 to you woman. You rock on EVERY level!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, lovely lady!!! It is so great to hear from you and I do so hope you will start writing and publishing again! I miss your work!!!!!

      Delete
  3. I sat in on your 10 am panel discussion Saturday at Imaginarium. Thought I would drop you a note and say thanks for the writing advice. Despite what one of the other panelists said, I'll still give it a shot :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You absolutely should give it a go. I think everybody should try, what do you have to lose?? Go for it and keep me posted on your progress!

      Delete