Sunday, March 24, 2013

Sneak Peek Sunday

One of my favorite snippets from LIGHT MY FIRE ~ Emerald Seer II:




“Why do you stay if you despise Seattle so?”  Sophia looked up to him, her eyes as animate as the day he first saw her.  Everything else had changed, her hair lost its luster, her skin pale as the satin sheets tucked beneath her chin, and dark circles permanently resided beneath her eyes.  Lucian swept a strand of straw-like hair from her forehead, replacing it with a cool washcloth.
“You know why I stay.”  Lucian held back the tears; she did not deserve to bear his sorrows with her own.  Sophia’s ran free, trailing down her sunken cheeks.  He wiped them away with the rough pads of his thumbs.  She did not even flinch, just watched him.
“I don’t want you to see me like this.  I –“  Sophia’s sentence caught in her throat as she erupted in another fit.  Lucian laid a hand upon her chest and muttered a few words.  Her body relaxed and breathing returned to normal.
“’I will not leave you.  We have been over this, more than once.”  Lucian kissed her forehead softly, “Sleep, Sophia, dream of the day in the lavender.” 
“Lucian, you stubborn, foolish Immortal, why can’t you let me go?  Give me some dignity, remember me as I was.”  Sophia’s pleas, though muted, had not lost the hard edge he’d come to love.  At least she stopped threatening to curse him. 
“Sophia, I could not let you go if I tried.  You know that.  I will not give up on you.”  He meant it.  How could he not?  She defied all reason, everything he stood for since taking on the beast.  Best of all, she tamed it.  Lucian had the distinct impression that if given the chance, the beast would curl up into a ball on her lap and allow Sophia to stroke its spine like a cat.  He loathed the Phoenix as deeply as he cared for Sophia and marveled at the irony that it loved her as well.

1 comment: