Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Author Spotlight: Sherry Parnell

Give a warm welcome to Sherry Parnell!  She's been kind enough to join us with one of her characters, Birddog Harlin, for a dual interview.  Please take some time to catch up with Sherry and look into her book, LET THE WILLOWS WEEP...



About the Book:

Where is the line between destruction and redemption?  What happens when one doesn’t know—do they fall or do they find their way?  

When the tenuous ties of her family break, Birddog Harlin is forced to choose a path which leads her away from those she loves, threatening to completely destroy her before she ultimately seeks her salvation.

Birddog is a willful and bitter woman whose husband, after years of suffering her emotional abuse, leaves suddenly one morning. She is left with her precocious and introverted young daughter who is devastated and angry, further deteriorating their already strained relationship. But during a seemingly insignificant moment with her daughter, Birddog privately recollects her own adolescence and the tragic events which drove her to make the choices that threaten to destroy not only her own life but also that of her daughter.  Memories of loss, love, and unbearable hurt flood her mind.  But as each moment recedes once more, Birddog realizes that although life is partially fated, it is her own choices that determine her true destiny. 





What is your inspiration? How do you get through writer's block?
I find my inspiration from the world around me, which can encompass anything from other’s journeys to a beautiful and intricate piece of art to the way the light streaks across the sky during an autumn evening.  Life is inspiration; one simply must seek to find it.
The means to working through writer's block is really dependent on the cause of the block.  I personally feel that most blocks are rooted in the pressure to be perfect and since perfection can't be attained the best way to overcome is to write.  Sometimes the very act of typing words can encourage them to flow more freely. 

Do you listen to music when you write? Have a completely silent space?
I listen to music but it can't be a random compilation; I must have a specific playlist of songs, which are fitting to the tone and feel of the story I am creating.  The genre of music must not only complement but also inspire the mood, characters and setting.  For my book, "Let the Willows Weep," I listened to a lot of folk and folk-rock such as Gordon Lightfoot and Cheryl Wheeler.

Who inspires you? What authors do you look up to? Why?
Who inspires me are people who are passionate and who believe in their craft regardless of the challenges and adversities faced.  There are many authors who I admire and appreciate but there are really none that I can say I "look up to." Instead, I try to emulate those attributes of several, which I find worthwhile.   

When did you first start writing? What genre do you prefer?
I have always written but I didn't start professionally until about twelve years ago.  I prefer literary fiction because I enjoy the detailed character development and beautiful prose often employed in this construct of writing.

If you had to choose another genre to write, what would it be? Why?
Historical fiction.  I am fascinated with the concept that all history is to some degree fiction since it is based on accounts from other people who have their own subjectivity, biases, and opinions.

Who is your favorite book or author? Why?
There are many writers who I admire and whose works I appreciate and enjoy such as Jane Austen, the Brontes, and Willa Cather to name a few.  However, I believe in choosing one singular author, I dismiss so many other great writers.  In regards to my favorite book, I have loved so many but if I were to name a few favorites they would be "Wuthering Heights," "Jane Eyre," and "The Sound and the Fury."

Do you have another job and if so what is it?
For most individuals being a writer dictates that one does have another job.  I am currently just focusing on writing but I have been a professor, tutor and a personal trainer

Tell me about your first book and how long it took you to write the first draft?
My book, "Let the Willows Weep" examines how hardship and loss affects the construct of a family and the ways in which the family members change when forced to face unimaginable situations.  The book explores the idea of life being either chosen or fated and how both our decisions and our destiny create the life we lead.  The first draft took a few years because I was also earning my masters degree in literature at the time so there were many starts and stops. 

List all of your titles with a one-sentence synopsis of each?
"Let the Willows Weep" is the story of how hardship, tragedy and loss affect a young girl and her decisions, which lead her to a dark place from where she must turn to seek redemption in order to avoid her own self-destruction.

Who is your favorite character? Why?
I believe most writers would agree that choosing a favorite character is like choosing a favorite child.  But preeminent among mine would be Samuel.  Samuel is a character who loves purely and lives with joy even though he has suffered the hatred and bitterness of others. 

Who is your least favorite character? Why?
Ms. Sprigg is my least favorite character because she is a schoolteacher who not only turns a blind eye but also contributes to the suffering of one of her young students.  She is judgmental and cruel when she should be approachable and kind.

Which character was most difficult to write?
Diggs was probably my most difficult character to write.  I had to carefully create an individual who was genuine not stereotyped.  I needed to write him in a manner, which would allow readers to love and feel for him not pity or disregard him.   

What scenes are most difficult to write?
For me, writing romantic scenes is difficult.

Do you see yourself in any of your characters?
They are, of course, my creation and therefore a part of me so I suppose there must be some of my traits attributable to each but, to me, they are still completely their own individuals with their own identities.

Indie pub or trad pub?
I actually started down the road with traditional publishing but then made the decision to self-publish based on my research regarding the changes in the field and my desire to control my own destiny.

What is your favorite scene? Why?
My favorite scene is in chapter 16.  It is when my protagonist, Birddog, is sitting with Samuel on riverbank flanked with weeping willow trees. 

Give a one-sentence summary.
Young and in love, Birddog and Samuel sit quietly on a riverbank beneath weeping willow trees as he explains that the river rises with the trees' tears, which they cried for others who couldn't.  Even though life has stolen much of Birddog and Samuel's idealism, they still believe that there is love and magic and hope in the world.

And now, an interview with Birddog Harlin, 

What is your full name?
My full name is Birddog Harlin.  Birddog is not my proper name, it's the name my older brother Denny gave to me because he always said that I was as small as a bird but could be as strong as a big dog.  So he thought this name fit me just right.

Where were you born/created?
I was born where we are all born into a life filled with joy and tragedy.  The town doesn't matter much because it's the living in the town that makes us each a little like everyone else. 

What would you say are your greatest strengths? Weaknesses?
My greatest strength is my ability to love beyond reasoning.  I can see beauty where there is ugliness.  I can see hope where there is desperation.  I can see love where there is hate.
My greatest weakness is allowing others to blind me to what I can see.

Who is your best friend?  And why?
My best friend is my older brother Denny.  Since the day I was born he has been my protector and my defender against a world that set a space to small for me to fit.

If you could be anything other than a daughter and a mother what would you be and why?
It is difficult to imagine another life when this one has left little room for imaginings. Being a daughter and a mother was my fate but if I had a wish it would be that my mother could have seen the good daughter I was and that my daughter could have seen the good mother that I wasn't.

What is your favorite book and why?
I don't have a favorite book instead I loved listening to my daddy and brother Denny's stories.  The details swam in my head and the emotions held onto my heart.  Their words and laughter is what wrapped around me on cold nights.  It never matter much that these words weren't bound and covered because good stories come in all sorts of ways.

If you could take a vacation anywhere where would you go?
Vacation is escape and I all I really ever wanted to do was return back to the life I had known and loved before every one else's fate overtook mine.

What do you think of your author?
She has not lived my life or experienced my tragedies but yet she seems to understand the pain of it all.  My emotions don't stay stunted with me; instead they spread across the pages allowing the reader to know what I know, understand what I understand and feel what I feel.  She is empathetic and she loves to tell stories--I am happy that she chose to tell mine.


If you were the first on "Let the Willow Weep" survivor, which character would win? Who would be voted off first?
I would win.  I might fall many times but I have the resilience and determination to stand up again.  My mother would be voted off first because living up to other's expectations, especially when they don't matter, makes a follower not a leader. 



LINKS:
Let The Willows Weep on Books a Million

No comments:

Post a Comment