Sunday, October 27, 2013

Halloween Blog Hop

Have I mentioned anywhere that I simply LOVE this holiday?  If not, I'm telling you now!  Something about Halloween just makes me grin from ear to ear like a lovesick schoolgirl.  Is it the overabundance of candy? The thrilling haunts?  The absolutely divine costumes?  Truly I think it is the combination of all of the above mixed in with a healthy dose of jack-o-lanterns, horror stories, hay rides, and the delightful spine-chilling movies!

Like this image? Get it here

And what is Halloween without the perfect costume?  I've had plenty over the years from a Laura Ingalls inspired prairie girl to Marilyn Monroe to Marie Antoinette (before she met the wrong end of the guillotine) to Bellatrix Lestrange (before she met Mrs. Weasley).  This year my costume is taking a back seat to my kids' costumes since theirs have proven to be rather time intensive.  I will be re-using my now familiar Steampunk Willy Wonka ensemble.


I'm adding a few things before Halloween but generally, I just love this costume so it pleases me to don it again.  Of course, my son wanted me to dress as a TARDIS to his 10th Doctor and my daughter asked me to be Gandalf to her Thorin Oakenshield.   They were both a bit shocked as to why I declined both.  *sigh* I hope to post their costumes after Halloween but they have asked me to keep them quiet until then.

Beyond the costumes, I love the goodies.  How fun is it to make a cupcake look like a mummy or a vampire?  What about creating the perfect witch's brew complete with rolling smoke?  I have a thing about specialty cupcakes and each year I try to outdo the previous year but this year I've had to tone it down since I won't be attending an adult party (last year I did vanilla cupcakes with a strawberry liquor filling so everybody could practice a little vampirism).  This year I'm doing dark chocolate fudge cupcakes for my son's class and making them look like mummies...can't wait to show them off but I think they will look a bit like this.... (but better)....



And witch's brew....how can I forget that?  I've always loved altering hot cocoa by making it "red velvet" with a little red food coloring and then adding Homemade Marshmallows shaped like fingers or eyeballs (whatever strikes my fancy, really).  The kids always love it and once they are all in bed that special brew tends to get spiked.....not sure how that always happens but it does.

I suppose that's all I've got for now and I still have some preparations to make for this most spooooooky of weeks....I hope you all have a hauntingly good time.....



If you haven't already, swing by these fantastic blogs:
JoLynne Valerie 
Judy Martene
Candi Fox
Andrew Brewer

Next up:
Monica Corwin

And don't forget to swing by this one!
Jennifer Lee Scott

4 comments:

  1. Love this...thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post with some cool ideas...thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Really loving your post, darling! So. Much. Fun! Thank you so much for being part of this year's Blog Hop... girl, you brought it and rocked it! xoxo JL

    ReplyDelete