Monday, October 21, 2013

Ready for a little spookiness? Elizabeth Wixley brings it through....

Do you fancy reading something creepy over the Halloween holidays?
I was born in England, and although I enjoy travelling my heart belongs to this rock situated in the northern hemisphere. From the very beginning, I have been a dreamer, loving books and all forms of creative thinking. During my much younger days, I expressed myself through painting and music and attended art school to develop my skills. These days if I pick up a pencil or a brush it is to create dragons or monsters.
One of my other passions is history. I am intrigued by the stories of ordinary people’s lives and how they survived against all odds and in extreme circumstance. The resilience of people amazes me.  At the age of sixteen, I ran away from home, and there followed an uncertain chapter in my own life where I lived in many areas of the UK. From my various adventures, I gained a vast knowledge about ancient cultures and the emotional literacy of people today and how they negotiate their way through life.
Interacting with nature is vital to me, so I am often to be found roaming Dartmoor, and of course, I am compelled to drop into any old pub I come across to enquire about their ghosts. Perhaps because I live on an unusually wet island, I find that I am drawn to water sports. I am passionate about the sea and rivers, so my favourite article of clothing is my wet suit.
My working life recently came to an abrupt end, due to government cutbacks, when my whole team was made redundant. I worked for the Local Education authority where I supported children who had experienced trauma in their lives. I often wonder how those young people are coping now without the much needed support.
My journey through life has often been bizarre with many twists and turns, but it has provided me with ample material for my stories.

My book ‘In the Devil’s Own words’ is a multi-layered book but may also be read on face value as a fantasy adventure. It is set in contemporary Britain, but my characters are sucked back into the medieval period. Although it is an apocalyptic tale it differs in feel from many I have previously read. However, it is the same in that it addresses the age old question about good versus evil and nature versus nurture.
It starts with the discovery of a mysterious book and two skeletons buried under the floor of the village pub. From that point the four main characters, a group of dysfunctional teenagers, are drawn into a dark world where to survive they will need to rise above their issues and work as a team. However, the question is are we ever ultimately able to escape our environment and upbringing?
Please follow the link to find out more: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B8XQF66#_
Please check out my trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNyj

No comments:

Post a Comment