Thursday, May 22, 2014

Please pay homage to the AWESOME AshleyRose Sullivan

I am so grateful to the phenomenal AshleyRose Sullivan on my blog today! She took some time out of her busy schedule to answer a few questions - hope you love what you read and run out to buy a copy of Awesome Jones!



VP: What is your inspiration? What helps you get through writer's block?
ARS: I give myself a break and try to “sponge up” by reading and watching as much stuff as I can. I take long walks. I run. I lift weights. Eventually, my brain will open and stuff will pour out.

VP: Do you listen to music when you write? Have a completely silent space?
ARS: Sometimes silence. Mostly, I listen to music and the music varies depending on the mood/feel of the project.

VP: Who inspires you? What authors do you look up to? Why?
ARS: Kurt Vonnegut, Douglas Adams, C.S. Lewis, and Robin McKinley were all authors that I found in middle/high school and I still respond to them. I found Haruki Murakami, Aimee Bender, and Jim Shepard as an adult and their work is a constant source of inspiration.

VP: When did you first start writing? What genre do you prefer?
ARS: I wrote casually since I was a little kid but I started taking it seriously while I was working on my first novel and realized it might have potential. I write in a sort of wobbly SpecFic/Magical Realism genre and don’t worry too much about it.

VP: If you had to choose another genre to write, what would it be? Why?
ARS: Creative Non-Fiction. I love telling (mostly) true stories. I’m working on a CNF Graphic Novel but it’s slow going.

VP: What is your favorite book (or who is your favorite author) and why?
ARS: My answer to this is usually Slaughterhouse Five but it’s been a little while since I last read it and I like to re-evaluate every few years. Anyway, I love the fearlessness, raw heart, and strangeness of the novel.

VP: Do you have another job and if so what is it?
ARS: I founded a Shakespeare program ten years ago and it’s still in operation but only for one week every summer. Otherwise, I’d like to be teaching.

VP: Tell about your first book and how long it took you to write the first draft?
ARS: My first book is Awesome Jones and it was only just released by Seventh Star Press. It’s a comic book in prose with illustrations scattered throughout. The only thing Awesome Jones wants is to be a superhero, just like the ones that patrol the skies of Arc City where he lives. Then he falls in love. He enjoys a happiness like he’s never known but, when a super-powered secret from his past emerges, he has to make a choice. Does he play it safe or find the strength to live up to his name?
The first draft took about two years. Another five or so years of rewriting and revision came after that.

VP: List all of your titles with a one sentence synopsis of each.
ARS: Awesome Jones (March 2014): Two regular people navigate life, love, and dinner in a superhero world.
Silver Tongue (Fall 2014): A trio of misfit best friends storm through an alternate version of 1864 America as they track down a group of ruthless killers.

VP: Who is your favorite character? Why?
ARS: This is a tough one and my answer is ever changing but in this moment I’ll say Captain Lightning from Awesome Jones. He’s a joy to write. He’s based on a few real and fictional men and everytime I get to put him in a scene, I’m happy.

VP: Who is your least favorite character? Why?
ARS: In the first draft of the novel there was a set of twins who I’d intended to play a big part. I ended up not doing very much with them and their characters were kind of empty so I took them out.

VP: Which character was most difficult to write?
ARS: The Echo. It took me a long time to nail him down. I ended up writing his entire story as a separate piece before I figured him out and then re-wrote his plot. It was a pretty massive undertaking.

VP: What scenes are most difficult to write?
ARS: Action scenes. It took me a few years and a lot of research before I started to get the hang of it. Action is not something that comes naturally to be but I tend to write books that demand it. I can’t exactly gloss over this stuff in a novel about superheros so I just try to learn and continually improve.

VP: Do you see yourself in any of your characters?
ARS: There’s a little me in pretty much all of my characters but Lona Chang from Awesome Jones is definitely a version of me. She seems to have about 90% more charm and social grace, though.

VP: Indie pub or trad pub?
ARS: I like and read both. A good book is a good book, no matter who puts their logo on the back. That being said, I love my indie pub. Seventh Star Press has been so supportive of me. They don’t balk at my ideas or tell me that my novels are too strange to sell. I’m also familiar with the other authors. In spite of all my anti-social best efforts, I know I have a family with Seventh Star.

VP: If you could meet anyone, living or dead, who would it be and why?
ARS: Jane Austen, so I could try and convince her to collaborate on a graphic novel with me.

VP: If you could take the place of one of your characters, which one would you choose
and why?
ARS: Phileas from Silver Tongue, I think. He’s smart and sassy and everything just rolls off his back. Also--adventure!

VP: If you could vacation anywhere in the world, where would you go and what would you
do?
ARS: Rural Japan. I’ve fantasized about long walks in the Japanese countryside, visits to hot springs and fresh sushi dinners since I was introduced (and instantly obsessed with) anime as a kid.

VP: What is your favorite TV show/movie from your childhood? What is it now?
ARS: My favorite movie as a kid was The Princess Bride and it’s still in my Top 5 along with Buckaroo Banzai, Amelie, The Life Aquatic, and Kiki’s Delivery Service.



Visit her site at: www.ashleyrosesullivan.com

Book Synopsis Awesome Jones: The only thing Awesome Jones wants is to be a super hero. Until he falls in love.

Despite his colorful name, Awesome Jones is a painfully average man who dreams of being a super hero, just like the ones who patrol his city. It's been that way since he was a little boy, raised by his grandfather after his parents' death.

The day Jones starts his new job as a file clerk at Akai Printing Company he meets secretary Lona Chang and everything changes. Lona sees something in Jones that no one ever has and the two quickly become inseparable. But when the perfect pair's domestic bliss is threatened by a super-powered secret from the past, Awesome Jones has to make a choice. He must decide whether he should play it safe or find the strength to live up to his name and risk everything he's come to love to save the day like he always dreamed.

Author Links:

website:
http://www.ashleyrosesullivan.com

Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/ashleyrosesullivan
GoodReads page:
https://www.goodreads.com/AshleyRose

Twitter:
@MyYearOStarTrek

Don't miss more AWESOME JONES on these fantastic sites: 



Armand Rosamilia, Horror Author                                
Fantastical Adventures Through the Paper Realm               
Watch Play Read                                                                  
Come Selahway With Me                                              
Sheila Deeth Blog                                                                   
Bee's Knees Reviews                                                          
Jorie Loves a Story                                                                                              
Beauty in Ruins                                                                      
Workaday Reads                                                                    
I Smell Sheep                                                                     
The Bird's Word                                                                     
Deal Sharing Aunt                                                                  


 Links for Awesome Jones
Print:
Kindle:
Barnes and Noble Link:


No comments:

Post a Comment