Monday, July 16, 2012

Forcing the story and other injustices to a tale...

I can't help it.  I cannot apologize enough for the gross delays in End of the Night but I cannot bring myself to rush the story.  It has been a rough 2012 on a personal level with a lot of challenges and while I have tried to write I remain unsatisfied with End of the Night - so much so that I have considered taking a hiatus more than once.  The most I have managed is a day or two here and there but even that has not helped me correct the problems I face with the culmination of my Emerald Seer Series.  It just is not working the way I want it to, just not flowing readily like the others have.  It is not writer's block though - strangely enough - it is more of an inability to control the tale.  This last installment must accomplish so much and I am finding it difficult to reign them all in - as if the disorganization of my personal life is bleeding into my characters.  Is this possible?  Yes, I suppose it must be since it is happening.  The worst part?  I have dozens of other story concepts flittering around my brain including the sequel to my YA epic fantasy - Estelan - that is pushing VERY hard to get out of my head.  Even as I read this blog post I see the lack of focus and it makes me cringe but then again, it offers a glimpse into the reality of my writing at this juncture. 

Perhaps, as has been suggested by one of my beta readers, that I am smashing too much into one book.  Perhaps I should take the advice and split Damarra and Roane's tale into another Emerald Seer novella.  I have considered it more seriously lately and wonder if it isn't the solution I have been looking for.  Decisions, decisions. 

In the end I will not rush this story, I will be true to my characters, and I will force them into submission - even the ever unruly and headstrong, Storm Sullivan.

No comments:

Post a Comment