Thursday, February 21, 2013

Rough Emerald Seer short - Sophia Bedeaux


I am working on a compilation of "deleted scenes" from the Emerald Seer Series to help with my writer's block with regard to End of the Night.


“Tide is out.”

Sophia continued to stare at the waves, gently lapping at her toes.

“You shouldn’t be out here barefoot this time of year, Sophia.”

The new arrival stepped forward and lined up her own feet with Sophia’s.  She could feel the woman’s warmth – and her power.  It rippled off the woman in waves, causing Sophia’s own gifts to spike in response.  Gooseflesh tore across her skin but not from the chill of the waves.

“Are you going to ignore me all day?”

Sophia turned her head slowly, taking in the warm smile and brilliant green eyes of her unwanted companion.  “Why did you come, Trin?”

“I saw you, luv.”  Trin Sullivan reached around her, blanketing her shoulders with a heavy quilt.  “I know what happened and I knew you would be here.”

“Of course you saw.”  Sophia spat at her friend.  “No rest for the wicked.”

“You are not wicked, Sophia.  Nor am I for that matter.”  Trin squeezed her lightly. Sophia fought the urge to crumple in her friends arms.

“Are you quite certain, Trin?  You know the evils of my line, the evils of my blood.  Perhaps it is my destiny to suffer for the entirety of my line.”  Sophia looked out over the waves, watching the sun rise over the edge of the ocean.

“How long are you going to pity yourself and blame your line?”  Trin dropped her arm from Sophia’s shoulder and nudged her with an elbow.

“Until I die.”  Sophia murmured quietly, the irony not lost on her.

“A bit melodramatic wouldn’t you say, luv?” Trin grabbed her by the shoulders and swung Sophia around to face her again.  The disapproval on her face was almost too much for Sophia to witness.

“I think I deserve to a little melodrama today.”  Sophia shrugged away from her friend and returned to staring at the sunrise.  “Why are you here, Trin?”

“I told you.  I saw what happened and I knew you would come here.”  Trin’s voice softened.  “You should not be alone, luv.  Not now.”

“I’m always alone, Trin.  Always have been, always will be.”  Sophia marveled at the crimson and gold glow on the horizon, inhaled the salty breeze and squished her toes in the sand.  She exhaled slowly and gave the explanation more to reinforce her decision than for Trin’s sake.  “I’m going to move here, along the coast.  I came to find the right place.  I’ll be going back to Seattle tomorrow to sell the rest of my inventory and most of my furniture.  I won’t need much –“

“No, I do not believe you will be doing any of that, luv.”  Trin took her hand lightly.  “I came to put you back on track, Sophia.  Let’s stay a few more days by the ocean and talk, perhaps things will look more differently when you hear what I have to say.”

“Doubtful.”  Sophia tried to sound convincing but a kernel of hope had been planted and she knew it.  Damn Trin Sullivan and her visions.  “What about my shop?”

“Oh, I have that covered too.”  Trin tugged at her hand.  “Let’s go have some breakfast, you need to keep your energy up.”

“Are you ever wrong?”  Sophia looked to her friend, curious.

Trin’s face darkened.  “Yes, Sophia, yes I am.”

“Are you wrong about me?”  Sophia shifted uneasily, half fearing the answer.

“No.  I am not wrong about you.  There is amazing strength in you, I’ve seen it.”  Trin looped her arm around Sophia’s waist and led her away from the edge of the ocean.

“I’m going to die, Trin.”  Sophia spoke the words she’d been so afraid of.

“Yes, luv, yes you will.  But I swear to you, it will not be the end for you.”  Trin spoke with such conviction that Sophia almost believed her.

No comments:

Post a Comment