Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Book Review: A Drop of Night by Stefan Bachmann

A Drop of Night falls victim to the "great concept poorly executed" curse.



I should have listened to my daughter on this one. Autumn's review can be found here if you are interested on her take as well. She's becoming quite the book critic and I should have trusted her.

The main character, Anouk, is one of the most annoying EMO-wannabe characters I've read in teen lit thus far. She's a disgrace to young women and, frankly, an insult. To pretend that "tough young women" act bitchy to hide some true pain is a sure way to piss off a truly tough young woman.

I'm trying not to be a jerk because this author is a kid, so I will let my daughter sound off since she is also a kid who found the main character annoying and, ultimately, offensive. While I can forgive his clearly backwards view of teen girls because of his inexperience, my daughter cannot. She asked me if this is what boys think of girls - either the bitchy, wounded tough girl or the too perky, too nice chubby girl (the secondary character Lily).

What do I say to that? What I said is, "Autumn, National Support Teen Literature Day is coming up, why don't you write an open letter to Teen Lit Authors about what you'd rather see and I will post it on my blog."

She is tickled pink. Look for Autumn's letter on April 13th.

In the meantime....

The Verdict on A Drop of Night

I wanted to like it. The premise is good and the story could have worked if the characters weren't so terrible.

Next up: Everland by Wendy Spinale

No comments:

Post a Comment