Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Book Review: This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab

My daughter read This Savage Song first and thoroughly enjoyed it so I took a chance.



It's not that I was disappointed, far from it. The characters were interesting, the world unique, and the writing solid, but I just finished Strange the Dreamer where everything was amazing. I feel bad, maybe I didn't give Savage Song enough of a chance by choosing it as my follow up to Strange.

The story revolves around Kate (a teenager who grew up too fast and has Daddy issues that put all other Daddy issues to shame) and August (a monster with a conscience living among humans and not sure how or where to fit in). Their world is similar to ours - if all of a sudden all of the bad that we do to each other and our world manifested as monsters who turned on us. That's right. Monster's are real in this hell on Earth and the lines in the sand of been drawn - literally.

I liked it. I even finished it in a few hours. The author's style is what I would consider clean - no frills, no excess, no drawn out nonsense. I respect that. Of course, it's not Ms. Scwab's first rodeo, either. There are no rookie mistakes, no random expositions, and no "how in the hell did that character miraculously pluck that knowledge out of thin air" moments. Thankfully.

The Verdict

It's a worthy read for a rainy afternoon. I look forward to the sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment