Sunday, February 19, 2017

Book Review: H2O by Virginia Bergin

I just don't know how adults can get so invested in some of these teen books. I didn't get Twilight or Hunger Games or Divergent. I don't get H2O.



The cover is catchy. The premise is interesting. The main character is obnoxious.

I really tried to like it because Autumn found it enjoyable. Generally, I agree with my daughter on books we read together, but, not always.

The good: as I said, the cover is awesome and the premise of the story (toxic rain wiping out most of the human race) is exciting and fresh. There are moments, but just moments in my opinion. I have zero desire to read the rest of the series. Zero. I'm just going to let Autumn fill me in. She likes to do that so she'll love this opportunity.

The bad: Oy. The main character, Ruby, was utterly obnoxious. Just a slight spoiler here to demonstrate her insanely moronic train of thought: she freaking dyed her hair in the middle of this apocalypse where water is a hot commodity and she's been struggling with dehydration because YOU CAN'T DRINK THE WATER! GAH! I wanted to throw the book at her utter stupidity. And, somehow she decides it's a good idea to go after her Dad.

So, I'm left wondering one thing after all of these teen books with idiot main characters: is this how these adult writers see teenagers? If so, I'm terribly sad for this generation because if this is the standard they are held to, if these are the "heroes" they are given, then why should they work harder? Why should they be respectful of older generations? I don't get it.

Next up: 4321 by Paul Auster.

 ** If you are up for reading H2O or know somebody who might be, do me a little favor and use the link attached to the image. Amazon won't charge you any extra, but as an affiliate I get a little money for each purchase through my site and it goes to keep the internet up and this blog operating!

No comments:

Post a Comment