Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Book Review: The Nix by Nathan Hill

I've been trying to mix things up a bit so I picked up this not-so-little novel after seeing it touted in several places. I liked it but I didn't love it, or maybe I'm just a tough crowd these days.



The Good: It's relevant and it's relatable on many levels.

Some parts are eerily relevant to our present state of affairs. Take, for example the extreme-Conservative Senator Packer character, the moronic and clouded college student, and the middle-aged man-child escaping the disappointment of his reality in a video game. This is just the tip of the iceberg in The Nix, all found in the first two hundred pages. The characters are all flawed in some relatable aspects - trust me, these people will remind you of people you know or have known in your lifetime.

Beyond the superficial, The Nix explores toxic people in our lives, how essentially the sins of the parent can carry over to their children, and how much people suck as a collective. There are characters who make woefully bad choices because that's what their characters do and they just can't seem to help themselves. You want to feel sorry for them because they may have been taken advantage of or wronged in some horrible way but then, they did dumb things to land themselves in the situations to begin with so...yeah.

The Bad: It's just too long.

I appreciated the varying stories and how they all fit together somehow in the end, but really, it was too much at over six hundred pages. There were points that I had to put it down and walk away. Again, maybe I'm just a tough crowd these days, but it took me three days to finish The Nix and that's just not normal for me.

Overall, I would strongly recommend this to people who love a good story, excellent character development, and don't necessarily require a happy ending. No spoilers, but the ending is just melancholy in my opinion.

If you prefer ebooks, here's the link for this one: The Nix: A novel.

Next up: The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett by Chelsea Sedoti. If you have suggestions for my reading/review list, please send them to booksbyviolet@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment