Saturday, February 25, 2017

#NationalTellaFairyTaleDay

I am not sure where I'd be without fairy tales.

I grew up on Little Golden Books that my parents purchased at the local grocery store. Mom stayed home with us until my brother and sister (twins) started school. As she tells it, I was a precocious child who begged her to read to me - a lot. Story time occurred while my brother and sister napped and, admittedly, I have vague memories of curling up with Mom to listen to stories, primarily fairy tales.

#NationalTellAFairyTaleDay

Many of you probably have similar stories, your reader origins, if you will. Have you ever stopped to consider the root of the very tales that shaped our young minds?

BBC did a write up on the history of fairy tales that sufficiently explains the roots of these age old stories with very similar themes. I'm not going to summarize that article for you but I am going to urge you to check it out. Consider the thousands of stories that have evolved over centuries of storytelling, many that began long before the written word was mass produced.

We continue to honor the tradition of oral storytelling. From audiobooks to campfire circles and everything in between, humans continue to share their favorite stories in a uniquely intimate fashion. What is more memorable than a storyteller adding inflection and drama to make a story their own?

I tell stories for a living, stories rooted in my life experience and my imagination. I tell my kids about worlds that don't exist anywhere outside my mind and allow them to build upon the worlds and create their own versions. Today, however, we will pay homage to the stories that started it all - fairy tales.

We hope that you'll join us.

Looking for inspiration? Try one of these from Amazon (you won't be charged anything extra for purchasing through these links, but I do receive a little money back that I use to keep this blog operating!).

No comments:

Post a Comment