Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Book Review: Feversong by Karen Marie Moning

I feel like I started this series a lifetime ago. In reality, it wasn't, but in terms of where I was and where I am now, it makes perfect sense. To be honest, I loved the first few books. Then things went downhill a bit. Feversong left me with mixed feelings.



On one hand, I was happy to see Jada return to Dani but it was long and roundabout and rather depressing at points. There were other things I loved, of course, nods to pop culture icons, the evolution of Mac (though I'm still not certain I love her ending), and, obviously Barrons.

Now, I've read a lot about abusive and inappropriate relationships in these books but I'm not going to go into those issues because I think in some ways it was part of her point and the truly abusive relationship was between Mac and the Sinsar Dubh which is addressed thoroughly over the course of the books and actually one of the aspects I've appreciated over the course of this series. Abusive relationships are no joke and the emotional fall-out is often the worst part. I felt like Karen Marie Moning did a brilliant job of addressing this and appropriately added a note at the very end of Feversong that - wait, no spoilers. Read it and see for yourself. Maybe you agree, maybe you don't but this is MY take based on MY experience.

I strongly recommend all of KMM's books as she has long been a favorite of mine, but, maybe I'm outgrowing them because Feversong felt too long, too drawn out. I liked it but I didn't LOVE it. I'm glad the characters ended up well, for the most part, and there is an opening for more/spin-offs, but, I'm ready for the next book (incidentally, it's The Girls by Emma Cline).

Looking to start, continue, or finish a KMM series? Amazon won't charge you any extra but it does help me out just a little if you want to click through and purchase via these links:

No comments:

Post a Comment