Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Top Twitter Tips for New Writers

What can you say in 140 characters?

A lot. You can run a thoroughly brilliant campaign, build a support network, and even sell your books on Twitter.

Are you skeptical? Thinking of shutting down this post and heading over to Facebook? Just hang with me a little longer. Let's put aside your protests, your skepticism, and your doubts.

If you're like me, you can't devote hours of every day to your social media presence because, hey, you've got a day job/kids/writing/household chores that are all screaming for your attention - some louder than others. But that doesn't mean you can be effective on social media, including Twitter.



Make 140 work for you

Use link shorteners to make the most of your 140 characters. I use bitly and ow.ly because I can track the number of clicks I get for each link and I use Hootsuite (more on that in a later post!). Some others are: Google, tinyurl, and if you're adventurous, you can create your own with YOURLS.

Tag up

Hashtags should not be overdone but not using them is missing a huge opportunity to be seen by the right people. Some people seek out connections via hashtag searches. For instance, looking for a new read? Search #amreading and you'll find thousands of tweets about the books people are reading. Some other writer-friendly hashtags: #amwriting, #writerlife, #books, and #writing.

Connect, connect, connect

Link all of your social media together but it may be most important to link them all to Twitter. You can set your blog posts, Instagram posts, and more to feed into Twitter and amp up your presence. My Instagram feed is linked to my Twitter feed so it takes just a finger swipe to drop my newest Instapost into my Twitter feed.

Network to build your Community

More than that, use Twitter to make connections. Find other authors, writers, editors, and any other related professionals. It's not enough to like, share, and follow others on Twitter. You have to interact with others, answer polls and questions that are relevant to your goals. Remember to be genuine in your tweets and give as much as you get to establish yourself as a professional, reliable, knowledgable tweeter.

Like what you see? Hungry for more? Sign up for my newsletter and I promise I won't overwhelm your inbox:

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

No comments:

Post a Comment