Sunday, January 22, 2017

Book Review: Mom & Me & Mom by Maya Angelou

Not long ago, Emma Watson made the news for distributing copies of Maya Angelou's Mom & Me & Mom on the New York subway. I realized that I'd never read the book myself and sought to correct that. Now that I've finished it, I want to extend a hearty thank you to Emma Watson for putting this gem on my radar.



I loved this book. I read it cover to cover in less than a day. I shared quotes with family, friends, and even the internet. Honestly, I curse myself for not reading it sooner.

As a daughter, a mother, and a sister, I related to so many parts of this book, so many subtleties that only Maya Angelou could capture as she did. I laughed and cried and generally felt inspired to sing (not a good idea for me) and dance (it is a new year with new resolutions and that pesky baby weight I haven't managed to shed even though my kids are more than a decade old) and write.

Maya Angelou's works have held a special place in my heart. I haven't read one I haven't appreciated or taken something valuable from. And, isn't that the point?

Have I mentioned that I loved this book? Please, go out and pick up a copy, borrow it from your local library or pick it up at a resale shop or click on the cover image above and buy it from Amazon (don't worry, they don't tack on extra if you click through from my blog!) - it doesn't matter where you get it, just read it!

Next up: Feversong by Karen Marie Moning

No comments:

Post a Comment